Friday, September 4, 2009

Creative Writing Poll - The New Yorker

As I read the following article in the New Yorker I was struck by how the author missed the point of creative writing programs in general. The purpose of these underrated and undervalued modes of learning is not to teach writers HOW to write, but to help develop their voice, purpose and better understand the necessity of honing their skills toward their selected readership. It also enables us to focus, learn from contemporary and classic authors and form a bond where we can associate with those in search of the same depth and sense of challenge and clarity that all writers strive for. These are not MBA producing factories (sorry, not to offend). Instead these are programs designed to report the human condition through the eyes of people who live everyday lives.

Read the article, take a look at the poll and see if you agree or disagree. I welcome all comments.

Dave

--------------------

In the latest issue of the magazine, Louis Menand tackles a fiercely debated question: Can writing be taught? Menand comes to his own conclusions, which, you know, are worth the read, but we here at the Book Bench decided it was time for something more direct—we wanted to hit the cyber-pavement and talk to the people. Yes, that means you, dear reader with an M.F.A.! How useful was that creative-writing program? Take our anonymous and highly un-scientific poll. Results are calibrated in real time, but check in with us at the end of the week to see how things settle.

What do you think of your M.F.A. in creative writing? (Poll Closed)
I enjoyed it. 65%
I didn't. 14%
It was fine. 20%

Was it worth it? (Poll Closed)
Yes. 58%
No. 18%
Is anything worth it? 24%

Have you pursued a career in writing (freelance counts)? (Poll Closed)
Yes! I make my living as a writer. I love myself. 32%
No. What I do for a living is not related to creative writing. It's not creative period. 13%

If so, is it the same genre of writing you got your degree in? (Poll Closed)
Yes. (Fiction.) 38%
Yes. (Non-fiction.) 21%
No. Now I write non-fiction, my degree was in fiction. 36%
No. Now I write fiction, my degree was in non-fiction. 5%

No comments:

Post a Comment