Thursday, September 30, 2010

Dedication!

Last Saturday I went on a 600 mile journey from New York to Baltimore to Washington, DC and back, walking around until my feet ached in 95+ degree weather.  The blistering sun loomed overhead, making me feel like a rotisserie chicken.  I wasn't feeling well that week, having called off work two days prior so I could get some rest.  I slept on a friend's hard couch (thank you Dave) and surprisingly felt well enough to meet dear friends for dinner where I shared my busy day.  All of this done because I feel the passion, the love, the desire to make my longtime dream of being a successful writer and business owner a reality.

Every day I wonder if this was meant to be.  I wonder am I on a path that will allow me to fully become the person that God meant for me to be.  Through prayer, self-discovery and sheer will (not to mention help from caring people) I'm slowly beginning to realize how lucky I am, how I believe I'm mean to do great things.  I may not become the greatest writer or the smartest or most successful businessman, but if there's one thing I hope to gain from all of this, it's the ability to inspire others to do big things.  With my business, besides printing and selling my work (and eventually the work of others), writing contests and other typical "literary stuff" my hope is to set up scholarships and conduct seminars for young minorities who are interested and love to read and write.  Success without service is hollow, and I plan on really doing something special that's well-rounded and worthwhile.

But it all starts here, right now, with me hustling around in 95 degree weather, sometimes in shaky health, sleeping on hard surfaces and logging heavy miles. And I'll do it gladly out of love for the written word.

Stay tuned, readers.  Good times are on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment